A HOUSE fire about 10pm on Tuesday completely gutted a two-bedroom Mildura home on the corner of Ontario Avenue and Sixth Street.
Police and Country Fire Authority members attended, but the fire was not deemed suspicious.
Acting Sergeant Matt Currow of Mildura police said it was believed a cigarette was the cause of the fire, which caused about $150,000 damage.
Yesterday morning, a strong smell of charred wood and brick was still lingering in the air.
Furniture frames and charred beams were all that remained to show that someone once lived there.
The roof was burnt out and ash lay in heavy piles throughout the home.
An elderly neighbour said a young man was the only occupant, but managed to get out in time.
“Within 15 minutes it was finished, ‘boof,’” he said.
For more of this story, purchase your copy of Thursday’s Sunraysia Daily 20-2-2014.
Gutted: Police believe a cigarette started the fire in a house on the corner of Ontario Avenue and Sixth Street, Mildura on Tuesday in which the sole occupant lost “everything”. Pictures: David Sickerdick
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.Continue Reading →